Job Title: Starter/Ranger
Reports To: Head Golf Professional
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Division: Golf Course
Summary: Starts guest in an orderly and timely fashion on the golf course. Coordinates the pace of play with Starters, Pro Shop staff, Superintendent and Grounds staff. Ensures that guests have an enjoyable round of golf by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensures that groups keep pace and does not delay next group as well as observes rules of the course and escorts guests courteously from the course if rules or pace are not maintained.*
- Performs maintenance or other tasks as needed and calls attention to the Professional or Superintendent about items that may improve the quality of grooming on the course.*
- Tours the course regularly during assigned shifts in cart to check on cleanliness of course, observes guests behavior to maintain harmony on the course, enforces rules of course with tact and politeness to the guest and spot checks guests for proper pace, licensing of cart operators, tickets and a set of clubs.*
- Welcomes guests to the golf course, arranges players in a proper starting order and maintains order on the golf course.*
- Assures guests tee off time on the proper tee.*
- Assists guests that are playing alone in finding a group to play with.*
- Maintains an adequate number of golf carts in the staging area at all times (as needed).*
- Ensures carts are parked in an orderly fashion and are clean.*
- Places cart in the washing area if cleaning is needed (as needed).*
- Informs all guests about rules and regulations of the course.*
- Confronts players from time to time in a polite and firm manner.*
- Ensures area is set up for tournament and cleaned afterwards.*
- Keeps accurate records of play and when each group started.*
- Keeps extra scorecards and pencils for guests.*
- Keeps tee area, Starter/Pro Shop clean by sweeping, dusting and removing trash when necessary.*
- Maintains tournament operations.*
- Picks the driving range and maintains driving range (as needed).*
- Performs opening and closing procedures and maintains storage of carts.*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather).
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.